Jasper (
guardingtheveil) wrote in
hellaverse2024-01-21 08:53 pm
A Study, Deepest Red

He sighed, a deep and weary sound. Large paw grasping a cheap pen, he wrote on a fresh sheet of paper: Nothing of note.
He'd been writing that a lot lately.
The hellhound had been rather brave- or perhaps foolish- on some days. After observing the estate of Prince Stolas Ars Goetia from outside the gates and finding nothing of note, nothing that could tell him why everything was pointing him in this direction. He'd been brave by climbing the perimeter walls, treading through the gardens- dodging rather aggressive flora all the while- before he crouched in bushes he'd deemed very safe.
With binoculars handy, he tried to peer in through any available windows some days, search for anything that could give him some sort of clue.
On others, he might be pacing on the sidewalks leading to the manor, red eyes lost as he flipped through a small notebook, refreshing himself on... something.
Some day, perhaps, his perseverance would bear fruit. But how long was he going to call and tell his Ma he was gonna be late for supper again, fixin' to have his hide tanned?
Really, she needed to understand that this...? This was important.

no subject
That is, until the garden is visited by another. Princess Octavia Ars Goetia steps out of the exit with a bucket in hand, slabs of meat carried within. Good cuts, going by the smell. The aggressive plants agreed, given the sudden excitement as they rise up and turn her way. They rhythmically bounce from side to side as the air fills with music, ominous and dark. It gains its energy as the owl begins making her rounds with a song ready.
♪ Wild. Freaks. Knife through the deep
Natureless creatures perverted and evil
From foul nests rise
A vermin tide ♪
One by one, she tosses meat into waiting mouths, the carnivorous plants gluttonously accepting them and bobbing to the beat. She's having fun with it, it seems, skulking around and composing herself like some kind of dark lord.
♪ Teeth. Bared. clawing the air
Sin wrapped in sinew the rats do not fear you
In slaughter's keep
The piper weeps ♪
the product of a Nat 1................
He caught movement and huddled tighter in his hiding spot. Frantically checked his pocket watch. Did he somehow fail to mark a gardening schedule?? Typically the Prince himself would tend to his babies under the moonlight, and yet-
His fur stood on end. That's not a member of Prince Stolas' staff. That was his fluffin' daughter. ...Feeding the plants, havin' a sing. He'd do that, himself. But the tune was awfully catchy...
Nope. Nope, you need to bail. He couldn't cast anything right now. Too busy. Too noisy! He just needed to crawl.
He slowly lowered to his belly and worked the earth beneath his elbows and knees, doing his best army bit.
...Until he lifted his gaze, saw a small rodent taking refuge from dodging carnivorous plants itself. The rodent, frightened by another predator, scrambled and lost its footing, plopping against his face.
The hellhound hollered and swiped at his snout, spitting in disgust as he recoiled back, tumbling out of the bush. He went from his snout to his coat, checking it for mouse, hoping it hadn't somehow wiggled its way in...!
F....
Unfortunately, the collection of gazes included the princess'. Her eyebrow quirked, she looked as surprised as one would be when finding a stranger lurking around their home.
"...Who are you and why the fuck are you in our garden?" She asked. This isn't another romantic partner trying to sneak in, is it? This one needs practice, otherwise; at least Mako managed to get past the plants. "Be honest; I can scream and alert the entire palace."
no subject
"I..." He needed one more second to shake off, check the grass for the mouse...
Honesty, right? Honesty.
"...Don't rightly know, Ma'am. ...Highness." But he raised both paws to placate. Please don't scream.
"But my name don't matter. I'm me, n'... you're Princess Octavia Ars Goetia, right? Now- I ain't a reporter, and I ain't one of those police types. I just wanna ask somethin' about... magic."
no subject
The owl folded her arms. Her attention's solely on him, but the plants are on standby and she's not screaming. For now.
no subject
He raised his paws to chest level and let thin wisps of magic emanate from the dark paw pads, akin to the vapors rising from a warm cup of tea in a chilly room.
"I'm... I'm fond of magic study. From everything I've read, the Ars Goetia command so much of it, like breathing. It's amazing...!" He began to pull in the wisps and weaved it together into a singular 'rope', something of different shades of green that danced through the air like an eel through water.
"But somethin'... something keeps pointing me here, for some reason. Anything involving seeking, even attempts to divine something from the Hellish stars, all point here, this estate above others in the family. I've been tryin' to figure out why. I don't think His Highness would have time for an audience, what with the, uhm..." He paused, rubbed an ear. The serpentine spell dissolved into mist.
"His... preoccupation with things goin' on, so I thought I'd drop by and see if I get some kind of answer. ...And my legs decided they wanted to get closer and I wound up in the bushes after the garden tried to take a few bites outta me."
A beat. Then he raised his hands again. "...Which is fair, by the way...!"
no subject
The wisps he conjured proved he's been doing well so far. They suggest he has some idea of what he's talking about, which only raised further concerns. Divination pointing out their house specifically? Assuming this wasn't someone else waiting to target her dads, she could see the reasoning for it. Their contact with Reverein might've left something on them. Several family members aren't even from this world, let alone this Hell, so they could ping as something foreign. Maybe even eldritch. Between the Velvet Room deals, Chainsaw Man and Dante's everything, there was reason for some kind of magical gravity well to form around their home. This is in addition Stolas himself and his daughter, King Paimon's heir. Not that she would share any of this with a stranger.
Still, Octavia seemed to understand what he was saying.
"Okay, that removes the journalist theory." She noted. "Probably not a criminal or you might've made it past the garden. Cops are never this honest and the pitch is too elaborate to be a salesman...I'm not ruling out pervert just yet. Genuine occultist would be most worrying, because then we'll have several people climbing the wall claiming divination brought them here."
She paused in consideration. "My dork radar's going off, so you might actually be telling the truth..."
no subject
But his ears went up about dork radars. For a moment he wondered what she meant by that. He wasn't popular at school by any stretch and was glad to be done with it, but... was she... making fun of him...?
Wait, that was good. Poking fun was good, because it meant she wasn't screaming for the others that would definitely be far more aggressive and she wasn't attacking him. Yet.
"Ooh, uh- no... I reckon you shouldn't worry about any of that. My divination was purely for somethin' I'm huntin' up answers for. I'm not part of any coven, or... occult group. I'm a solo practitioner... as much as I wouldn't mind usin' the Power of Three someday. That'd be a dream...!" His big, shaggy tail was wagging and his eyes brightened.
no subject
"Anyway, your divination pointing to us could be any number of reasons. My dad studies stars and could be favored by them, for all I know. We also practice a lot of magic in this house and that might be picked up. Or maybe something's really offended by the starter fluid my brother drinks every morning. Espresso shots in the double digits would get anyone out of bed; even eldritch horrors beyond our reality."
no subject
"Uh- starter... starter fluid?" Oh, that sounds like a lot of espresso.
"I ain't one to judge. I like eatin' those roasted beans covered in chocolate a whole bunch, and I think I could propel myself forward with my own tail with how many I can take down in a sitting. Scares Mom's horses." He laughed.
"Uh... hey, so... do y'all mind if I just do another spell real quick? Nothin' big, just seein' if any scryin' points elsewhere, seein' as I'm here. Maybe somethin' out there is puttin' me on a weird scavenger hunt."
no subject
"Do you...want something to drink or anything?" She offered. "We might actually have a few chocolate covered coffee beans. I have a sibling who loves all kinds of snacks."
no subject
He reached into his bag and pulled out his own handmade grimoire. Though it paled in comparison to what, say, her father had inherited, it was no less filled to the brim with tested spells of various types. He stopped at a page, and used a paw to reach into a pouch at his waist while the other held the book propped open.
From the bag, he retrieved a small bottle with a dropper inside. As he pulled his focus inward, he was reciting... something... but Octavia would easily recognize it as something infernal. Once finished, he pulled his hand away from the book... and it remained in the air as it was.
He pulled the dropped from the bottle and applied a single drop of the fluid inside into both of his eyes. His gaze distant, he gave the solution a moment to... to...
His irises were gone, eyes a pair of gleaming rubies when they turned to Octavia. But he paused, squinted a bit.
"...What..." That didn't make sense.
"...What am I seein'...?" Something was emanating from her. It was changing, even now, a magic he'd never seen before. He could see the path she'd taken, each step from the manor to her spot in the garden, of flower seedlings unseen to the naked eye yet seen here.
"Was there another school of magic you'd been usin' lately? Somethin'... natural? Somethin' that works with plants? Leaves remnants in the world even after you've gone...?""
no subject
And he clearly found some answers. He made it far enough to learn incantations and perform a ritual right in front of her. Goetian magic had an elegance to it that came from countless years of practice and mastery. Some of her relatives might call his methods primitive, but their power had to come from somewhere. Octavia respected it.
But...natural magic? The kind that'd play well with nature? It couldn't be Metaverse powers; that involved souls and minds much more than nature. People. For nature, only one thought came to mind: Dreamotion. The song she was singing was inspired by thinking about Madhuri...
"Something like that, yes." She admitted. "Emotion-based. Plants, even non-carnivorous ones, are alive enough to be receptive to talking. Singing, too, and the emotions behind your words. Feeling cared for helps them grow healthy, so I sing to them whenever it's feeding time. You've seen how receptive they are to it."
no subject
He hesitated, reached into what looked like thin air, and seized a pawful of the dust. He brought it to his mouth and swept his tongue over his pads, let the 'flavor' of it paint all of his taste buds.
His irises returned as he blinked in surprise. With his focus suddenly gone, the grimoire fell like a stone, bounced once in the grass.
"Ah- sugarcanes-" He hunkered down to gather it up.
"Uh, so- I'm... currently studyin' the theory of... other worlds. But not like the human world, Heaven n' Hell n' all." He stood.
"I mean... other universes. Or- or dimensions. Do you reckon where you got your hands on this emotion-based magic? You learn it from a family member, or- or somebody you met that maybe... looks a little odd?"
Deception check 11
...Briefly distracted because he doesn't seem to swear. That's adorable.
"It...came to me in a dream." A half truth. Slightly less strange sounding than telling him about Reverein while trimming of some of the details. "Which sounds vague and confusing, because it is. Just like trying to manage your own emotions. I'm still not very good at that."
6. Welp.
Ain't his place.
"...But what I saw was... really beautiful. These drops, they- they letcha see the true forms of things for a little bit, before your tears and blinkin' wipes it away. But a few moments tends to be enough to see what needs seein', and..."
The manor was wreathed in strange energy. This was definitely a place that had some sort of contact... elsewhere.
"...Anyway, since you went ahead n' indulged me, I'd be happy to give ya the bottle I've got on me and the spell. As a 'thanks much' present, from one witch to another."
no subject
"Ooh. I'm always interested in trading notes! On that note, I'm honestly really impressed you can detect this. It's strange and...not really like most magic. And who in Hell wants to use emotion-based magic, right?"
That would be a little too soft for people interested in a quick and easy solution all the time. Maybe a few practitioners here and there and it's usually basic stuff if you're not a Goetia.
...Maybe talking about it with him wouldn't be recommended, but it's probably not gonna stop him from investigating anyway. Besides, he's a genuine occultist. How many of those does she really know?
She cautiously looked back at the manor, making sure no one was approaching or looking for her. "...Alright, I'm convinced. We can talk more magical secrets, but maybe next time, someplace a little less suspicious than our garden."
no subject
Jasper's ears perked and his tail thumped the ground. "I'm more than happy to talk magic! I, ah... ooh."
He laughed. "Sorry. I didn't know if I could make an appointment to gain an audience or how the whole Royalty thing works. I don't come up to Pride much. ...And my name's Jasper."
no subject
She studied a bit of that, too. It's interesting! Analyzing various kinds of gemstones and what they could do or what magic they could augment. It's totally not a nerdy thing the studied in her spare time, not at all.
As if her nerdiness could be physically seen, the owl cleared her throat. "Uhh, right. Appointments are bureaucratic bullshit that can be artificially lengthened or shortened. How about we trade phone numbers instead? Lot less waiting around that way."
no subject
"Oh! ...Really? Okay!" He fished for his phone, an odd sort of anachronism when he was dressed as if he'd sprung straight from some medieval RPG. He set it up to transmit his information.
"Thank you. Thank you, Your Highness!" He also passed over the vial.
"Ah, and as promised. I could teach you the recipe sometime- took me a year to figure out."
no subject
"Of course! And maybe I can teach you some of what I know in return. Makes it an even trade." She nodded, and paused. "Oh, and...you can just call me Octavia. I'm not that uptight about titles. Makes things weird when you're just hanging out with people."
She doesn't want friends to be so formal with her. Pulling rank's a dick move when she outranks even some other Goetia.
"On that note, if you're free later this week, we could meet up and talk about things a little more? My schedule will lighten up around then."
no subject
He raised a paw to his chin. "Yeah... yeah, I should be free up plenty. Just gimme a call and I can hit the elevator. I live down in Wrath. I'd recommend meeting down there, but, uh... well, the imps are a little extra frisky around this time and itchin' for a fight to train up for the Harvest Moon Festival."
That may be a reminder- Jasper sort of had Millie's accent going on.
The hound closed up his book and tucked it away into his bag.
"They even see fit to pickin' a fight with the horses, wild or no. The poor things... they're tough as nails, but they don't deserve somebody fixin' to harass 'em."
no subject
"I don't mind going down to Wrath, though. If push comes to shove, I can defend myself." And if she can't, she can call Denji. Hopefully it won't come to that. "It's better that I get out more, anyway; seeing as much of Hell as I can will help me understand its problems and how to help improve things, if possible." Even if she never has to take her father's place, it helps to be mindful.
no subject
"Huh. ...You're pretty wild, y'know that?"
A beat. He then shut his eyes and put his face in a palm.
"Wait- I mean...! Nobody just... wants to see the other Rings to understand 'em. You either live in 'em or know somebody that lives in 'em. I think it's mighty nice that you feel the need to get to know more of... well... home, I guess. Home bein' all of Hell."
He lowered that hand, but clenched a fist. "Y'know what...? You work it out, I'll give you a royal tour, in the best way. Leave it to me."