"Nephew" (
hadal_predator) wrote in
hellaverse2023-08-18 01:27 pm
Entry tags:
Actions, Meet Consequences

A Crow had opened his beak in a way he probably shouldn't have, thus a deal was made... a wager, really, with a deadline. The problem was, the Radio Demon had the advantage even before the first word of the wager was spoken:
Every shadow was a Friend of his, and this whirling, wild circus that was Hell was rife with them. Kinda tricky, when your line of work depended upon them.

Act 1- Oh
"Hey, 'night, Dick. Sorry I couldn't stay for a jam session."
"You'll take me up on it one day, asshole!"
He snickered and headed down the steps and down the street, listening to the keys jingling as the Red Box was locked up for the night. 3 AM was quitting time, and 'Nephew' was looking forward to some sleep. With no deals to be made, he had a night to himself! ...To sleep!
That counted as free time, right?
no subject
His shadow on the wall giggled in his head as it took in their surroundings.
"Time to go fishing."
With that, the shadow darted on ahead as Alastor leisurely strolled through the dark streets.
no subject
His neck felt a prickle.
A guy in his line of work never, ever denied their gut feeling. The phone was stowed but he kept his pace, hands slipping just past his pockets, over cool carbon steel. Foolishly, he could think that someone happened to be going his same direction...
...You know... into an alley.
Don't run. If you do, they know you're on to them.
no subject
Found you~
no subject
Didn't matter. He drew the first pistol and fired, eyes ablaze as adrenaline made short work of any fatigue he was feeling.
So much for going to bed tonight.
He turned and noticed the alleyway was... a lot darker and deeper than he anticipated, and extended an arm to fire a thread line. Rooftops. Let's go up, then. Get the FUCK out of here.
no subject
"Now, now. It's rude to shoot at a potential customer."
Footsteps that sounded like hooves on the pavement lazily walked towards Mako as the stag advanced, the shadow creature unharmed by the shot. The sound of static and the periodic flipping audio between channels probably did nothing for the shark's nerves.
"And my associates know that I pay well."
no subject
Oh, yes... yes, the staticy sounds were not doing anything good for the shark's nerves. Thank you for noticing.
"Cus-?!" His other hand instead drew one of his knives. He whirled to face the creature, standing at the ready.
"Heh... heheh... I've got channels, you know. A process! You don't just jump a guy to do business with hi..." His blood was like ice, and he'd forgotten what he just said.
There were certain rules here in Hell. One: Sinners could only be on the Pride Ring, no matter how hard they tried. Auntie unfortunately knew this all too well.
Two: The Radio Demon was one such Sinner, deer or otherwise.
So why
the fuck
was the RADIO DEMON on LUST!?
"...You're a little out-of-town, aren't you?"
no subject
His grin widened.
no subject
...Treasures...?
Nephew's head idly canted, shoulders hitched in a shrug. The grin was tight and toothy.
"If you have something to show me, Big Red, you're close enough." Really, he was close enough at least ten strides ago. The hand holding the knife slowly lowered.
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
Act 2- ...
Crow receives a message. Was it about 4 AM? Yep. Did he care? No.
Crow, buddy! I was in the neighborhood and figured I'd stop by your old man's garden. I've got some updates. Couldn't wait. Sorry!
It wasn't a lie. But hitting that send button, staring at the screen, listening to the subtle keen of a shabby phone case struggling against his tightened grip...
The mood sure was. He easily cleared the fence and kept an eye out for Prince Stolas' many, many carnivorous plants. He was not in the mood to deal with another bloodthirsty entity tonight.
no subject
"Great," he replied, rubbing his face. "I still don't understand the logic. How does this even fucking work- Two personas of the same Arcana, stronger persona of the same arcana. That's straightforward. But how does this work, how does- how the hell does fucking. Magatama plus horse with two horns equal immortal firebird. Make it make sense."
The old man smiled. He was always smiling. Always smiling, never telling a damn thing.
"The cards move in mysterious ways. But I do believe that is what I requested. A Phoenix capable of producing the spell Media. Which demonstrates the absolute minimum competence you'll be expected to have, so congratulations, I guess." Renée adjusted her glasses, looking down the clipboard in hand. "Unfortunately, it looks like we're out of time. Come back later, birdbrain, because I've got homework for you."
"Out of- what do you mean, out of time? I'm dreaming."
"Yeah. But you're waking up."
He sat up in bed with a jolt, looking around in alarm. What the hell had pulled him out of a dead sleep in the middle of-
His phone was lit up. Groggily, he seized it, glanced down at the screen.
A text from Mako? Who was... here. At four in the morning.
Wanting to speak face to face.
There was a pit of dread in his stomach. Something had happened.
Alright. I'll come out and meet you. Stay where you are.
He glanced out the window, searching- tracking movement in the dark. It was subtle, but it was there.
He grabbed a jacket from the wardrobe, eased the window open- he'd greased the hinges himself- and swung out into the gardens below.
Out, across the grounds, unseen.
Renée, can you bring us a car? I don't want this conversation overheard.
Absolutely not. The services I can provide are for you and your collaborators, and those only because I'm still, technically, assisting you. Some random guy? No can do.
Shit. Well, nothing for it.
There was the shark demon, hanging near the fence and out of sight, for the most part. "What happened."
no subject
He felt like an idiot. He should have listened to Goth Chick. He'd laughed when she showed him a message warning him, but he'd gotten so many random bluffs involving someone here and there knowing Alastor the Satan-Damned Radio Demon that he was quite accustomed to rolling his eyes and moving on.
It was a comfort- in an ironic sort of way- knowing that Alastor didn't like his name used for clout. Who would? He could only hope he wouldn't get that bullshit pulled on him again.
He heard footsteps in the grass and tucked his phone away. He hadn't moved to meet him, remaining exactly where he was.
Mako still needed to figure out what the fuck was going on, and he realized that there were precious few options when you're dealing with someone that had been a fucking extinction event for overlords that have had an iron grip on Hell's balls for centuries before.
He heard Crow speak and he tightened his jaw briefly. No confusion? No immediate excuse? That didn't seem like this guy, sure, but he wasn't sure if he appreciated the implication to get to the crux of things or wanted to fucking swing at him for it.
No. If he knew what happened, maybe he'd expect that.
Better not give him the pleasure.
"...Had a funny meeting about an hour ago." He finally turned his head, looking at him.
"The Radio Demon, in the flesh, or - or whatever the fuck he's made of!" Goth Chick said he'd made a pact. He'd made a deal. It was all stupid ghost stories and occult bullshit that spoke of humans making deals with demons in exchange for power and advantage. Being able to trek through Hell freely was a HELL of an advantage.
He wanted to shout. Really, he'd deserved that much. But that was also probably something he wanted. Satan, Mako felt like a fucking idiot.
He finally advanced. "Oh, not just that! He met me in the Lust Ring. Had a little chit-chat."
Mako didn't care that Crow neatly stood a head taller than him. He still stood before him, gloves all but groaning from how tight his fists had gotten. His voice was even, his face stony.
"...What did you do."
no subject
"God dammit. God fucking dammit- I fucked up is what I fucking did. Did he threaten you? Did he do anything-"
no subject
But nobody kicks bushes and practically loses their composure like this, acts so... pitiful. Not a Goetia.
His shoulders deflated, hands in his pockets. He shrugged with the question, awkwardly turning his eyes away.
"No. I'm fine. ...Even when I shot at him. I'm usually a better shot, too."
Mako took a breath and turned back.
"But yeah. You fucked up, Crow. You made some kind of deal with the last guy anybody with sense in Hell would shake hands with, and now he somehow knows I've worked with you n' Goth Chick! He met me at the fucking Red Box. I've got people there, Crow. Good people. I know what the fuck I signed up for doing all the shit that I do, but I deal with Sinners, mobsters... not. OVERLORDS. Especially not THAT one."
He took a moment to take another breath... let it go slowly.
"I can't exactly leave town and disappear now, huh? Not when that fucker knows I exist. I built what I've got from the ground up and it took me years, and countless sacrifices. So with all of this in mind, friend, I'm going to ask again, so I know exactly WHAT it is I'm going to be dealing with:
What did you do."
no subject
... I can't tell you. We're done. You can tell the others at the Box whatever you like. If Alastor ever contacts you again, you can tell him I haven't involved you or anyone else since. Your hands are clean, moving forward.
And there it ended. No more visits to the weirdly entertaining little club. No more talks with someone who was... fun, in a way not a lot of people were.
No more banter. No more games.
No more Mako.
Goro Akechi inhaled. Exhaled. "It's a long story. Would you like to come inside? I'll make coffee."
no subject
He shut his eyes. Sighed. Mako was not in a better mindset.
He'd almost died tonight. He'd hear the guy out, figure out some options. ...What options there were left, anyway.
"...It better be some really good shit, Crow. Because I'm reeeeally fucking tired after the night I had." Something in his gut told him to call out. He should have listened to his stupid, stupid, dumb gut.
no subject
The accoutrements set out. Cream, if Mako wanted it. Akechi never did.
And then he had a seat.
"Any time you decide you want out, the door's that way. My name is Goro Akechi. I'm not related to the Goetia by blood. In fact- I'm not even a demon. I'm a Sinner. Technically. It's complicated." Sugar added to his coffee, stirred. "I'm also behind Nautilus. I got in an argument with Alastor over something stupid. Incredibly stupid. I've always had anger problems, and I lost my cool. I challenged him directly, and made a bet with him, where the consequences were... exposure, if I lose. My entire operation and everyone in it. I thought that just meant myself and other members of Nautilus. I can see now that he intends that to mean contacts that directly aid the cause. Like I said. I fucked up. And bad."
He took a long drink. And then he started from the beginning. Stopped to answer questions, if they came up. But the whole thing, start to finish. The long, sad story of the son of a power-hungry politician and a prostitute. Who'd come home one day to a dead mother and a string of homes who'd conditioned him to believe that he was lucky a 'kid like him' even had a place to stay. Who'd always been unwanted. Always a second thought. Who always had to be grateful for the right to... exist. Who'd been so... so. Angry. At the world.
And then something wonderful had happened. Someone had given him a gift. The power to enter another world, where belief was reality, where cognition was king and the monsters of the world could actually be fought instead of just endured.
He could get them. He could get back at all of them. Everyone who'd ever hurt him. His father. The woman who ran the group home, who'd blamed him for everything, who'd beaten and berated and abused-
How he'd made a plan, at the age of thirteen. A stupid, stupid plan. One that had brought him to his father's doorstep, insinuated himself into his service.
One that had made him a pawn, and then a murderer.
One that had almost made him friends. And then he'd fucked that up too.
One that had killed him.
Twice. Brought back against his will, a construct of thought to make someone else happy, in a fucked-up attempt to 'fix' the world. How he'd rather die than than be someone's puppet, ever again.
How he'd begged Ren to let him die, when the other boy was willing to throw the world away. For him.
How he'd come back again. Grappled with this. Fucking dream world. Closed the book with Ren. Come to an understanding with one of his victims.
Made peace with Maruki.
Found people who'd. Accepted him. Wanted him. Helped him not hate himself, not hate... everyone. So much.
How Stolas and Blitz had promised they wouldn't just let him die, again.
How he'd come here, at last.
And how he'd found that his powers still worked.
A chance. An opportunity to do something. To help.
To make sure he'd never lose this. Maybe even make his new home that... tiniest bit better. Not because he wanted to be a hero, or anything like that. But because he wanted to make this place better than it was, for the first time... ever.
How he'd fucked that up too, because he couldn't keep his fucking mouth shut.
The sun was up, now. The pot was cold and empty.
"And now we're here. So if you want out, I'll make whatever arrangements I need to. You weren't aware of what you were selling, so nobody could call it your fault. Whatever concessions I need to make to Alastor to get you out of it, I will. This is my mess, and I'm cleaning it up."
And, a flickering sense in the back of his mind, that pushed him just a bit further:
"I hope you won't. Because I had fun, at the Box. I enjoy talking to you, for what it's worth. You're interesting in a lot of ways that other people... aren't. But... that's your call."
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
Act 2 Intermission
...Loona knew to let that shit work itself out, and to give anyone else getting up early the signal to fuck off, before backtracking a bit down the hall she'd been hiding in.
Her steps coming back towards the kitchen are more heavy, more obvious, accompanied by a genuine yawn. By the time she's come into the kitchen, the boys are finishing their coffee and barely talking about anything.
"Huh. Who's this guy?" Loona asked, blinking slowly at the two of them. "Nicer 'n me, I usually kick my one-night stands out before dawn."
no subject
"I- ah- he's not- we didn't- ah, shit."
no subject
Mako sat up straighter, eyes widened. One-ni--
His eyes trailed to Goro, who couldn't exactly corroborate anything at the moment. His face spots began to glow again.
...But he found the alibi for his visit tonight. Thanks, mysterious hellhound stranger!
"...After the night we just had...? I'm heartbroken." His face made a show of falling. Then he stood, sighed, and brushed off his coat.
"I'll chalk it up to nerves... this time, you tease." But he leaned down then, and by all accounts he looked like he'd leaned down to plant a kiss to the stumbling, presently-awkward goetia's cheek.
"Seeya 'round, Goro." But not quite. A chaste brush of a cheek against his was all he'd given before he excused himself, humming a few bars of something he'd heard on the fly one evening. A window was handy, and out he went with the flash of a tail.
no subject
"Wwwwwwow," she remarked flatly before going to the cabinet to retrieve a larger mug than the coffee cups by the set and pour herself some coffee and cream. "Good luck when dad finds out about him. He's fucking annoying about it," Loona added flatly, but there was a subtle tone of amusement in her voice. "Hope hair-flip can shake a stalker."
no subject
and left him leaned-back in his chair, eyes wide, every feather standing on end.
"Ah. Hm. Morning, Loona. How, ah. How... you."
no subject
no subject
no subject
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)