inkwell_books: (Ruth)
The Inkwell ([personal profile] inkwell_books) wrote in [community profile] hellaverse2024-02-05 12:28 pm
Entry tags:
NSFW

A Busy Few Months

December, January, and February were always busy months for bars in Hell.

December was the upcoming Cleanse, and people blowing their money on booze just in case they didn't survive. One last grand "hurrah" before the end.

January, celebrating surviving or mourning those lost during the Cleanse. Some overlapped it with celebrating the deaths of the lost that they despised while they themselves survived.

February, well, Valentine's Day. Lot of heartbroken people looking for a drink to numb the memory.

All three meant squirreling away plenty in the "Emergency 'We Fucked Up' Fund" in addition to the usual bills.

The Inkwell itself had plenty of customers, most of whom seemed to be trying to sus out what in particular was up with the periodically-mentioned "Private Collection" some customers seemed to be allowed to see regardless of class. Though a good chunk of them ended up buying books anyway. Largely from the filthier sections, but it made Ethan happy.

Meanwhile down in the Private Collection, Ruth had plenty of booze to sling and sob stories to listen to. Everyone needed a bartender to lend a sympathetic ear to every now and again, after all.
therizinosaurus: (Listening)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-07 12:49 am (UTC)(link)
For someone who rarely takes time to herself, exploring bookstores is a quiet enough hobby. No pressure to socialize, a possibility of a reading nook to pre-skim before buying... just have to find a place in Pride that isn't ransacked and also isn't a tacky overly shiny store that's probably owned by the Vees.

This is the eighth store Thalia's investigated. It's a little small for her height and wideness, but that's her problem in most places. "Afternoon," she greeted the front desk, "do you stock cookbooks here?"
therizinosaurus: (Listening)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-07 02:37 am (UTC)(link)
"Some vegetarian and some for using wild game meat," Thalia hummed in thought. "...Trying to eat less processed food. Think it's been why I've been getting migraines, you know?"
therizinosaurus: (Listening)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-07 12:16 pm (UTC)(link)
"Hah. That's certainly true - I think if I were going to add that to my diet I would go to Cannibal Town for a recipe book," she huffed in amusement and slightly rolled her eyes, gratefully pulling out a promising book. "I've made a hellborn friend from Wrath... he's been excited to share some things. I thought I'd try and match the enthusiasm," she admitted with the briefest hint of a smile.
therizinosaurus: (Listening)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-07 02:05 pm (UTC)(link)
"It's been a while since I've had actually good knock-your-socks-off barbecue, that's for sure. If you get any books from Wrath, I'd love to come back for them, honestly," she nodded, a faint smile as she discreetly didn't comment on the wagging tail. Dogs and hellhounds were so charming. "I'm also still trying to get a better understanding of the local vegetables... everything's an awful lot more finicky to grow than trying to work with a spaghetti squash," she joked a little. "This roasted Spit-Trap plant sounds good, though... hmm..."
therizinosaurus: (Annoyed)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-07 02:19 pm (UTC)(link)
"Boiled vegetables are just sad, most of the time. I think soup is the only time it's any good in the first place, and even then it's pushing it," she rolled her eyes in agreement. Blech! "At least soups are good for making food in bulk. Potlucks and meetings and such."
therizinosaurus: (Listening)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-07 02:55 pm (UTC)(link)
"Thalia, it's nice to meet you," she greeted, bowing her head and offering her hand to shake. "Has this place got a little reading nook for customers?"
therizinosaurus: (Astute)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-07 06:38 pm (UTC)(link)
Glancing up at the camera, Thalia huffed lightly. Security made perfect sense. "Having a secret code can be amusing, but getting involved is not always wise. Fair enough," she agreed, pausing to look at the book he was referring to, holding it out to be photographed.
therizinosaurus: (Chuckle)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-15 01:53 pm (UTC)(link)
"Appreciated. I'll be there in a moment," she nodded him off. She wanted to pick out a new novel for her casual reading as well, and after a while of perusing and mulling it over, she picked out a mystery romance. That'll do, it had an interesting enough hook on the inside cover.

Taking her books to the front, Thalia retrieved her wallet from under the wing tucked into her side, counting out the payment in bills.
therizinosaurus: (Astute)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-21 01:17 am (UTC)(link)
Well. That sounds intriguing. Thalia pauses before glancing up.

You know what. Why not.

"Sure. What've you got for me?"
therizinosaurus: (Listening)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-21 01:33 am (UTC)(link)
She had to crane her neck and scrunch a bit, but that's just because she herself was quite large - carefully going down the stairs, she entered the speakeasy.

...Oh. A speakeasy! ...Huh. She'd only ever read about those. She must've passed the 'vibe check' with the hellhound fellow. Awkwardly, Thalia gave Ruth a wave. "Hello there."
therizinosaurus: (Chuckle)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-21 01:50 am (UTC)(link)
"This is a pleasant little surprise down here. Wow," Thalia chuckled in amusement - she'd have to see if she could bring Sten down for a nice private time drinking.

"Moscow mule, maybe?"
therizinosaurus: (Chuckle)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-23 01:43 pm (UTC)(link)
"Thalia. It's a pleasure to meet you," she nodded, taking the mule appreciatively and sipping at it. Ohh, pleasant, chilly. Thalia took a moment to seat herself at the bar, pulling her skirts aside and careful not to bend or break any of her feathers.

"I am glad that the hellborn are able to set up somewhere nice and establish rules. Hopefully you don't have much trouble enforcing them. I could see why customers would want a place like this, a break away from... everything."
therizinosaurus: (Hmmhmm)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-23 02:44 pm (UTC)(link)
Thalia nodded in understanding. She shared a lot of Sten's sentiment about the hellborn... the Sinners were unwelcome and unwilling intruders in their home.

"Do you have security to reinforce it? Or are you able to handle that yourself?" she gestured vaguely to Ruth in question. Never underestimate a hellborn, after all, even if they're small!
therizinosaurus: (Listening)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-23 03:42 pm (UTC)(link)
Right, protection rackets - Thalia rolls her eyes a little at that. "Who's the guy you're paying, if you don't mind me prying? Completely fine if you'd rather brush that off, of course. I just know the headache of getting caught owing things to those assholes."
therizinosaurus: (Listening)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-23 04:04 pm (UTC)(link)
"Mmm," Thalia nodded and hummed, tilting her head a little. It wasn't Sten, who was obviously her first pick of Overlord, but...

"Could be worse. He's also one of the more 'dignified' sorts. Does he partake in the business at all?"
therizinosaurus: (Listening)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-23 06:43 pm (UTC)(link)
"Better for it I think. Turf wars are nasty. I'm an enforcer for my Overlord, but most of what we do is pull people out of the crossfire," she hummed, taking another appreciative sip. "I won't bring work in here, of course - but if you need an extra hand outside of it I wouldn't mind dropping by to help."
therizinosaurus: (Chuckle)

[personal profile] therizinosaurus 2024-02-23 11:24 pm (UTC)(link)
"No, no, don't mistake me - I wouldn't charge for something like that," Thalia chuckled and lightly gestured with her hand. "I like to protect places I visit from getting busted up when I can. And I can see myself coming back, is what I mean."
butterflyaffect: (Default)

[personal profile] butterflyaffect 2024-02-17 07:15 am (UTC)(link)
It'd been a while, since the little blue imp had come by. Since she'd said her goodbyes, committed to disconnecting and leaving forever.

Now, though... Now, she'd made a choice. A very... permanent one. The cost was high, and she'd paid it, willingly.

But in exchange, at least, she could reclaim this.

Time to visit her favorite bookshop-slash-bar. Somewhat awkwardly, she stepped through the Inkwell's doors, looking around a touch... nervously.

butterflyaffect: (Default)

[personal profile] butterflyaffect 2024-02-21 02:20 am (UTC)(link)
At Ethan's approach, she couldn't quite help the smile that came onto her face. "Hello, Ethan. I... yes. There was a change of plans, and I'm here to stay. So I thought- I just wanted to say hello."
butterflyaffect: (Default)

[personal profile] butterflyaffect 2024-02-23 05:57 pm (UTC)(link)
"I'd love that, Ethan. I'm probably going to have to rebuild my collection, I'm afraid- but at least this is a good place to start. I, ah... I missed you both, too. Very much."
butterflyaffect: (Default)

[personal profile] butterflyaffect 2024-02-29 04:13 am (UTC)(link)
She smiled brightly. "I'll have to reclaim what I can, then, but for now... it's good to be back. I'm going to go say hello to Ruth, but- take care of yourself, Ethan. And thank you."
butterflyaffect: (Default)

AS IT TURNS OUT I AM ALSO BAD AT THIS

[personal profile] butterflyaffect 2024-03-24 06:09 am (UTC)(link)
Renée returned the embrace, smiling up at the proprietress. "It's good to see you too, Ruth. Guess... who had a change of plans?"

To put it mildly. "I'm... here to stay, I'm afraid. So it would appear that you aren't going to be rid of me for a while."